LAURA E. SKANDERA TROMBLEY
- President, University of Bridgeport
- Phone 909 630-6834 – Email: Lestrombley@gmail.com
- D., English, University of Southern California, 1989
- MA, English, Pepperdine University, Summa Cum Laude, 1983
- BA, English and Humanities majors, Pepperdine University, 1981
HONORARY DEGREES, TITLES AND APPOINTMENTS
- Trustee Distinguished Professor of the Humanities in the College of Arts and Sciences, University of Bridgeport, May 2019
- Recipient of The Dixon Wecter Distinguished Professor of American Literature Award, Huntington Library, May 2018
- Appointed to The Rhodes Trust, Chair, District 16 Committee of Selection for the Rhodes Scholarships, March 2017
- Recipient of the Lou Budd Award in Recognition of Outstanding Contributions in the Field of Mark Twain Studies, 2017
- Chair, J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, 2015-2016
- Emerita Trustee, Pitzer College Board of Trustees, 2015-Present
- Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters, Pepperdine University, 2013
- First Thomas Nast Gastprofessorin, University of Koblenz-Landau, 2013
ADMINISTRATIVE HONORS, GRANTS, AWARDS
- Chair of the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board and keynote speaker at 70thAnniversary events in Berlin, Helsinki, Jerusalem, and the State Department in Washington, DC, 2016.
- Judge, 4Humanities “Shout Out For the Humanities,” student prize contest. 4Humanitiesis an advocacy initiative for the humanities, March 2016.
- C-Suite Quarterly (CSQ) Magazine, Visionaries in Philanthropy, Art & Culture Award, November 2015.
- Janet Z. Giele Award, 3rd Annual Conference on Women in Leadership: Work-Life Balance, sponsored by Pepperdine University, March 2015.
- Vice-Chair, J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, elected 2014-2015.
- Member, J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board Executive Committee, 2014-2017.
- Member, Project Pericles Presidents’ Council Executive Committee, 2008-2015.
- Fulbright Senior Specialists Roster, 2004-2014.
- “Seasoned President Grant” recipient from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, 2010.
- CEO Leadership Award, Council for Advancement and Support of Education District VII, 2008.
- “New President Grant” recipient from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, 2003.
- Accomplished Alumna Award, Pepperdine University, 2002.
- Dorothy A. Trux Award for an Emerging Professional Administrator, National Association for Women in Education, 1997.
- National Learning Communities Dissemination Project. Funded by the Comprehensive Program of the Fund for the Improvement of Post-Secondary Education. 1997-1999.
- New York State Progress in Equity Award, American Association of University Women, 1996.
- National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Institute, “Boundaries and Borderlands: The Search for Recognition and Community in America.” American Commitments. Project #3: Curriculum and Faculty Development Network. Sponsored by Association of American Colleges and Universities. 1994.
- Leadership Opportunity in Science and Humanities Education. Funded group: “The Adirondacks: An Interdisciplinary Coordinated Studies Program in Environmental Studies.” Funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities, Fund for the Improvement of Post-Secondary Education, and the National Science Foundation. 1993-1994.
- American Commitments: Initiatives on Diversity, Democracy, and Liberal Learning. Funded group: “Social Justice.” Association of American Colleges and Universities. Funded by the Ford Foundation and National Endowment for the Humanities. 1993-1994.
SUMMARY OF ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE
2018-present Trustee Distinguished Professor of the Humanities in the College of Arts and Sciences, University of Bridgeport
2015-present Professor of the Practice of English in the USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, University of Southern California
2002-2015 Professor of English and World Literature Field Group, Pitzer College
1997-2002 Professor of English, Coe College
1993-1997 Associate Professor, Department of English, SUNY Potsdam
1990-1992 Assistant Professor, Department of English, SUNY Potsdam
1988-1990 Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of English, Pepperdine University
1987-1988 Lektorin, American Studies, Universitaet Eichstaett
1985-1987 Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin, American Studies, Universitaet Eichstaett
1983-1985 1987 Assistant Lecturer, Writing Program, University of Southern California